Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Role of a Woman

Sometimes it's confusing being a woman. I suppose it's because everyone has a different opinion of exactly what a woman should and should not be doing. It's easy enough to filter out the world's opinion as self-serving and unbiblical, but the Christian perspectives are divided enough as it is, and most of them claim that the Bible backs up their perspective. What does it mean to usurp a man's authority? What does it mean to learn in quietness and submission? What does it mean to be a submissive wife? Sound simple? Believe me, it's not.

I suppose some women don't have the same trouble as I do. I think it's because some women's God given gifts and talents fit neatly into what most believers consider an appropriate role for a woman to have. If she excels at cleaning and decorating her house, cooking, hospitality, encouraging other women, teaching children's Sunday School classes, singing, or organizing a church potluck, then she is valued highly as an asset to any church family. Trouble is, I'm not that woman. And I often feel that the conversations of the women around me center on these things. Some women have been given a great amount of wisdom to add to these conversations and I have a deep respect for them. I, on the other hand, often feel as if I have nothing to add to these conversations. I would much rather sit around with a group of church elders and discuss particular redemption, but these are groups that even if I were invited into, I would be too intimidated to actually speak. It can sometimes feel as if I have something to say, but no audience to say it to.

I don't mean to sound bitter or resentful. I've come to understand that God made me the way I am for a reason, and I know that his ultimate purpose is that I would glorify him with what he has given me. And perhaps God has not given me an audience because I wouldn't be able to handle the recognition yet. Perhaps I would lose sight of my purpose of bringing God glory and instead glorify myself.

I admit, I write this partly because it is therapeutic to do so. But I also want to encourage other women who may feel as I do. Everything God does is for a purpose. We may not see it at the time, but rest assured that he knows what that purpose is. He has not given you a certain talent or gift only to let it go to waste. His purposes will be accomplished in the lives of his people.







No comments:

Post a Comment